Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fan 2006 530XiT

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 391075, Oct 27, 2014.

The electric fan kicks on immediarely after I start the engine- shuts off for a few secons- restarts for a few minutes- then shuts down. Sounds like a faulty thermostat (?) . Does anyone have a disgnosis ??
    Thanks.

charlson89

Have you replaced your water pump recently?

No. It's the original water pump with 79,000 miles.

charlson89

When a water pump begins to fail the default is for the fan to kick on high to protect the engine. You might be having a issues with a water pump starting to go. You would need to pull faults from a BMW scan tool to see if there is any coolant pump speed deviations happening.

Thanks. The default is a good warning rather than breaking down somewhere far from home. I will have the pump replaced. Suspect this would be a good time to replace other parts as preventative maintenance. Any reccomendations ie, timming/other belts, hoses, gaskets ??

charlson89

The water pump on your vehicle is electric and costs quite a bit. Before replacing it make sure that is a problem most likely is but there always those 1 off weird issues. Other then that also replace the thermostat if you can since it has to come out any way. Also one quick question your engine cover with the roundel on it that is gray right?

Gray it is. Interesting thing today is that other than the first morning start, the fan never came on. No defaults and never an over-heating makes me wonder (?). On the other hand, I did notice a small dirty water/oily mark on the garage floor which may be related.

charlson89

Yah it would be good to get the vehicle checked out then

hackmechanic

Thanks for kicking in on this one. I'm out of my depth on electric water pump cars; haven't had the pleasure yet...

Replacing the water pump solved the problem. I also replaced the bolts (for the pump), thermostat, a hose, along with the required fresh new coolant. Thanks for the help !
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

charlson89

Thanks for letting us know glad it worked out!