Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Exterior Lighting

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by svester12, Jan 11, 2016.

svester12

Hey y'all, I just joined the CCA a few weeks back with my purchase of a '97 540i and have since then tried to replace the headlights with new LED headlights. For the most part it went smoothly but the LED DRL flicker ever so slightly and from what I've heard it's because LED's have much less resistance then regular halogen bulbs but I don't know how to solve that problem. The other issue when plugged in, the passenger high-beam comes on and nothing I've done turns it off (minus unplugging it). Even when the car is turned off the high-beam stays on. Now the wiring job to get these in may not have been the best but I didn't even touch the high-beam plug. Another small issue is one of the LED's in a separate part of the DRL is out. I'll include pics to help out with explanations.
    IMG_4625(small).jpg IMG_4626(small).jpg IMG_4629(small).jpg IMG_4794(small).jpg IMG_4795(small).jpg IMG_4797(small).jpg IMG_4806(small).jpg IMG_4807(small).jpg

MGarrison

I don't think we've had many here try light conversions - presumably wiring in a resistor of the right type might help with the car's system seeing the voltages/resistance/etc. it expects, but I wouldn't have any idea what type/spec of resistor needed.

Search in the E39 subforums on bimmerforums.com & bimmerfest.com, you'll probably find any number who've already experienced & solved what you're dealing with.

charlson89

How did you wire these headlights in? The LED turn signals will cause a issue because of the lower resistance and cause a fast flash and possible error message to come up. Is the high beam bulb just a swap over?