Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Extended Warranty engine replacement

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by NJohnFL, Apr 22, 2009.

NJohnFL guest

My warranty company, GE Capitol, wants to replace my 2004 330ci Conv engine with a used junk yard engine with 51k mi and not a BMW Remanufactured warranted engine. They say this one has a 2 yr warranty from AZ somewhere. They say I would have to pay the difference if I want the BMW reman which is exactly what I want installed. I need history from others that have had their warranty companies replace their engine. The problem is a valve hitting that is actually coming from uneven wear on both rod and crank bearings (Bad) and therefore bad crank or block that only shows at full operating temp. PLEASE HELP, they should just put in the reman BMW warranted motor without question. E-Me now and forum input, if you have had this warranty fight. jmccona2001@yahoo.com Thanks, John

az3579

The problem is that a BMW remanufactured engine is VERY expensive compared to the cost of a junkyard engine. What is the deal with the junkyard engine anyway? Just want the piece of mind?

9/10 the junkyard engines are fine...
    But either way, it's the cost that is preventing them from putting in an engine straight from BMW. If you owned the insurance company, what would you do that makes the most financial sense, and what is best for your company? This is their way of thinking.
    I don't think you're going to convince them to put in the BMW Reman engine because of that. They feel that they have found you an engine and the fact that it has a warranty (2 years at that, which I think is excellent) is sufficient for a warranty claim. It is, in my opinion, but they probably think "why should we pay extra to have an engine put in from BMW if it's just as good as the junkyard engine?". Put yourself in their shoes and you'll understand. :(

NJohnFL guest

Thanks for your reply. Yes sir, Peace of mind is a HUGE concern for me. This car has spent more than 50% of it's life in the shop since I purchased it last October. They have been working on this problem for 3+ months. The dealer thought he had the "Valve knock noise" isolated in the bottom of the motor and replaced the oil pump ultimately. This after multiple permissions to uncover top pieces then bottom pieces. Then permission to replace the pump. Car back, problem still loud and noted by me, back in, then it was the "Disavalve" in the intake manifold. After I got the car back, 10 miles back home and the noise returned. They never heard it as they never got the engine hot enough for it to show. Next day, took car back and kept it running till they heard it, loud and clear. Metal on metal. Finally, after permission to pull oil pan, pulled the rod bearings and 1 main, the front one. Waited another 2 days for the independent inspector to arrive as always, he took pics of the rod bearings and late the next day, they were given permission to replace the rod bearings ONLY..... I called the warranty co back after I heard this and went off. They had no pics of the main bearing showing damage that clearly showed movement coming from aft of the front main. I told them they have to remove the crank and find the source of movement and heat it to figure what is changing shape.They were going to send in the inspector back in and this time I met him there. After he heard my story and saw all the mains with damage, he too alot of pics and left. Finally, all agree a new motor.

I found many writings where BMW owners had reman's installed by the warranty company. Some complained they wanted a NEW engine which cannot be bought. Yes I want the BMW reman and BMW warranty. I refuse to just keep my car in the shop for more than half of it next year or so. This has been a nightmare and it is my first BMW....

I understand and again, thanks for the response

NJohnFL guest

Also, it might be different many years ago but now I am a disabled vet with a fused back and a heart attack 3 yrs ago. I cannot work on my own car any longer even though I certainly used to and want to. I bought this car with a lot down and do not have any extra funds left to help with as I am now on a low fixed income. I really am hoping to have a car that will last many years with good maintenance. I love the ride this car has especially the way the seats fit my back issues.

Maybe this helps as to my prospective in wanting peace of mind.

Thanks

az3579

What is the warranty on the BMW Remanufactured engine?

NJohnFL guest

They are telling me it is 2 yrs, unlimited milege. I hope to see this in writing today.

The engine proposed is 2 yrs, 24k miles from some shop in AZ. Eng has 51k on it and good compression checks. I really need to stop warranty work and drive my car some for a change. A remanufactured engine by BMW to NEW specs with all upgrades has a much better chance of giving me 200k+ miles without hassles. The warranty from BMW is unconditional and totally removes the engine from any more costs to the warranty company. Which by the way, they have already spent just over $4,000 just to get to the decision to replace the engine. Like I said, I cannot even change my own oil anymore!

P.S. I love your pic of your car. I would like to be able to get those stats like 322,000 mikes already.

CRKrieger

Where did you find those? Aside from the Nikasil debacle of the early '90s and bad downshift over-revs, BMW engines tend to be pretty bulletproof. Yours sounds like an anomaly.

You left out some facts. How many miles are on your car? Clearly, it is more than the original BMW warranty period, or you wouldn't be under an extended warranty now. IIRC, that's at least 50,000 miles.
    For that, I would figure you should pay the difference. The used engine they're offering is an equivalent to the engine you had. Probably fewer miles. Probably more warranty coverage than if yours hadn't failed. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. For a number of years, I mediated warranty disputes like this for the BBB as a certified senior arbitrator, and this is how I viewed the issues.
    I'm very sorry your experience has been so bad. I do not think you would be making a mistake to have the used engine installed. I would expect it, with normal maintenance, to easily go an additional 200,000 miles. Most of the BMWs I've owned have had about that many miles on original, unopened engines.

Another fact is missing here. How many miles a year do you drive? Are you likely to exceed the warranteed 24,000 miles in two years? If not, then this whole discussion is merely academic as far as warranty coverage is concerned.

NJohnFL guest

OK everyone, the dust has finally setteled.
    The valve knock when the engine got hot enough, after ~10 miles of driving, prooved to be movement from the crank or block. Hense, engine replacement was required.

I chose to go with the remanufactured engine and this came with a 2yr, 100k mi warranty from BMW. This left me with a $2,652 difference to pay after the warranty Co said what they would pay in lue of the used engine. Glad I went with the new/reman choice.

I called the company I purchased the car from, Exotic Motorcars of Tarpon Springs, FL.
    They have no obligations on this as the car was purchased 9 months ago, however, after they learned the last 4 months of my issue with the engine, They sent Bert Smith BMW $1,000 tords my balance due for the new engine. They did not have to do this but felt bad for my problems and wanted to stand behind the sale and me being on disability, I really appreciated this. They usually have a lot of used BMW's in their inventory and I do recommend them for anyone in the market for a BMW. http://www.exoticmtrcrs.com/ .

Now my car runs and sounds like new, engine is now pefect. It was a long battle but worth it in my opinion.

NJohnFL guest

The end result

CSBM5

Wow, that is pretty amazing for a used car dealership. I'm glad to see you got things worked out nicely. If it was me, I'd follow the factory 1200 mile break-in procedure and (even though BMW long since stopped requiring it on non-M cars), I'd change the oil/filter at 1200 miles too.

NJohnFL guest

That is quite a Stable you manage.
    Thanks for the note and the info.
    John