Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

exhaust smell in 535i

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by gerard6656, Oct 18, 2008.

gerard6656 guest

Hello, any responses are seriously appreciated.

We recently bought this 1986 535i off a museum floor where it had been sitting for about 3 years. Naturally there were several repairs required. One that is stumping me is that the interior of the car smells of exhaust. I am not sure even where to begin to look. The car is a 5 speed with a short shift kit and an ansa exhaust. Otherwise it seems quite stock.

Is there a charcoal canister on this car? Maybe someone could direct me to the right place in the Bently manual? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerard:confused:

granthr

Just a guess, check the rubber seals around the two air intakes at the base of the windshield, up against the fire wall. If they are deteriorated, it will allow air from the engine bay to enter the cabin. So you will get all the wonderful smells that come from there. Charcoal canister could be part of the problem.

I don't have an E28, so not quite sure where it is. Buy the Bentley manual for this car, it is worth it. Also this website is very helpful. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Here is the canster on your car, can't quite tell where it is.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DC74&mospid=47231&btnr=16_0097&hg=16&fg=10

GR

indycar

+ 1 Those rear moldings decompose over the years. I'm on my third set at least. You might also check the passenger side fire wall where the harness goes through to the ECM in the glove box

bmwdriver99 guest

Not a surprise..

I've had 3 E28's ..528e, 535is ...that blew up and now my third 535is. After purchasing the car ..each and everytime there was some kind of exhaust leak that I ended up fixing. It's almost natural ...It's like buying a jag and their electrical issues. They're born with it :)..it can be bad at times but if its muffler related most shops can help.