Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor???

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by billmiranda, Aug 19, 2008.

billmiranda

Hi1,

I have a 96 E36 M3 that just threw a Peake Research tool code: 1b 0A.

This comes out to be the Exhaust CPS. THis is nothing major but my only cocern is that I cannot find this part anywhere... I look in my Bentley Manual and it only list the Camshat positon sensor. There is no Intake or Exhaust one listed. I called Pelican parts and they do not show an exhaust one, simply the single CPS.

Called one of the local dealerships and the parts guy just listed the one.

Looked all over the web and can't find one anywhere. The only few sites have seen where they list either an intake or exhaust, on list an intake one (go figure of course).

Has anyone here had this issue at all?.. and is there only one?

Thanks!

Bill
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Your car does not have an exhaust camshaft position sensor. You are either looking at the wrong code table, or you need a different scanner. You may need an intake cam position sensor (well, the only one.)

billmiranda

Went out and checked it again. In the 1996 and newer section:

Table 1b
    Code 0A
    Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor.

I reset it and have already ordered the Camshaft Position Sensor, which I read on a number of the boards I belong to (Bimmforums, Bimmerfest, M3Forums) is a problem anyway.

Hopefully this will cure my issue.

My main problem right now is a (what I think is a) stuck thermostat as my car goes straight from cold to Overheating in like 10 minutes...

I turn it off and back on and it cools... I stuck a new one in there when I did the fan delete mod but that doesn't mean that it ws good... just need to find an 80C one.

Thanks

v/r

Bill

mooseheadm5

Could be a bad t stat. If the overheating is intermittent, I would suspect that or air in the system, or possibly even a bad water pump.

mooseheadm5

What version of the Peake tool are you using? I looked at the chart and 1b 0A does say exhaust cam position sensor. Hower, there are codes listed in that table of dual VANOS cars, which you obviously do not have. Any chance you have a tool designed for Euro cars (doubtful) or that you are reading it incorrectly (also doubtful)? Very odd.

billmiranda

Wish I was doing either.. it's confusing as heck which is why I just decided to get the CPS and call it a day! :)

I reset it before I read it with my autoxray 2500 though so I can't get a second opinion until it throws again but of course,.. now that I want it to,.. it won't.

Thanks a ton though... great to have these resources available to help.

v/r

Bill

Oh,.. and it's pretty much the t-stat.. I banged on the t-stat housing with a hammer (mine's aluminum) and the temp started dropping... lol... I put in one of those all aluminum Stewart Warner Hi-Perf water pumps... a PWR Aluminum Radiator (30% more capacity), an 88C t-stat and removed the fan,.. and it's all being undermined by a sticking t-stat... so I have to drain it all again.