Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Excessive Wind Noise 1973 2002tii

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by bcording, Jul 10, 2009.

bcording

I have a frame-off fully restored 1973 2002tii.

The restoration was done in CA, by Act One Restorations.

Upon receipt last August I have noticed excessive wind noise starting around 35 mph and increasing with speed. It is so. loud that you cannot hear the radio and is quite annoying.

I had another restoration shop E & E Restorations in Broadway, VA work on the car. They found that the upper edges of the vent-wing frames were too far out and attemped to re-adjust with marginal improvement.The car has all new door gaskets.

I drove a 1968 2002 when it was new and remember the silence and lack of wind noise in that car. I realize that a restored car will not have the factory tightness and sealing. Do all restored 2002s suffer from excessive wind noise?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buck Cording
    2008 535XI
    1973 2002tii

CRKrieger

I would take another look at those vent frames. They are a separate part from the door and (IIRC) they also incorporate the front window guides. There is an adjustment for them deep down in the door. Whether your most recent work addressed this, I cannot tell. I doubt these could get bent but, if they were, it would be a simple matter to find more. I have several sets salvaged from '02s I've had in the past.

That said, I don't remember the 2002 as particularly quiet (subtly & romantically suggesting that your memory might be rose-tinted) and, even if it wasn't, I didn't really much care. This was one of those rare cars that is a lot more enjoyable with windows open than closed. I used to run the rears popped out 24/7 and the vents were usually open as well. But the best days were those when I could roll down the door windows, too, and just enjoy the sound of the car. I sometimes greatly miss my 2002, but not for the quiet it provided ... ;)