Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

european navigation dvd

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by thedge9, Feb 12, 2010.

thedge9

does anyone know the detials on wether or how you get these dvds when you take delivery. Ive heard that prevoiusly it was not provided by bmw but now it might be and I would love to now if I have to plan to get my own.

mgthompson

The navigation database on my '09 128i is stored in a disk drive, not on a DVD. When we picked up the car at the Welt the European nav data was installed. They had already set the language to English. When we picked up the car at redelivery the North American nav data was installed. I assume that all of the 2010/2011 models have the new nav systems that do not use the DVD.

You can also preplan your travel on the BMW Routes WWW site and save it on a USB flash drive. When we picked up the car at the Welt we plugged the USB drive into the socket in the glove compartment and loaded the route, stops, and destination into the nav.

You can also copy music to the disk drive. We brought a USB drive full of our favorite music and listened to it during the drives.

thedge9

thanks

that certainly makes things easier. Is it easy to set up routes on the site? Did you find any problems with the planned route and the nav system, where it didnt do what you had planned?

mgthompson

The BMW routes site ends up using Google maps. Once the route is calculated you can drag the route anywhere you like. When you are finished it builds the route file, you download it, and save it to a USB drive.

If you were a European resident you could subscribe to the service and save the routes. As a free user uou can't save the route.

There are instructions on the BMW Routes site that you can download.

smallebp

Does anyone know if BMW plans on offering this (BMW Routes) for US residents at some point. It seems like a nice feature.

mgthompson

There was a discussion on another forum about the route upload feature being disabled in the latest navigation software.