Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

eta models

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by tiFreak, Mar 25, 2011.

harris318i

Thanks bud, much appreciated

harris318i

any word on your leak?

John in VA

If you find you're low on PS reservoir fluid (it's actually ATF) but don't have a big puddle, you are probably losing fluid past the seals in your steering rack. The bellows will fill with fluid until you DO have a puddle. Rebuilt racks can be purchased from http://www.griffiths.com/bmw/.

harris318i

I am losing fluid and DO have a puddle forming under the car. Parked in a parking garage on sat night, went out drinking and came back the next day. A puddle a little over the size of a Paper Plate had formed underneath it. I know it has been leaking but i tend to park in the grass to avoid leaking on the concrete in front of the house. This was the first time i had gotten to see the actual damage

jstamatis guest

Did you get an eta?

I've been using mine on the track for a couple of years now - etas are much maligned, but can be great platforms to learn on.

If you are a solid driver you will not be much slower than non-eta e30's on the track, if at all. The key to breathing more life into the car is 1) chip, which should get you ~25hp/25tq 2) good LSD, 3.25 is best, 3) a solid suspension (something like Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport combo) and 4) good wheel/tire combo. I've passed all kinds of "faster" cars on the track w/ this setup, and it's great fun to drive. You will be underpowered on straights relative to other newer cars though. Etas are virtually indestructible so that's always a benefit.

All this being said, you can get an e36 for pretty cheap these days - going that route and you get into the m50 powerplant and a slightly more sophisticated chassis. They just don't have the same allure as e30's for me though.

jstamatis guest

Doh! Rest of thread didn't load so it looked like no replies - sorry to re-hash old issues...

I still pull for etas though...

tiFreak

I'll probably be getting an E36, I know a guy who's going to give me a pretty good deal on his E36 track car