Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine hesitation and stalling

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by nealjh, Jul 7, 2009.

nealjh guest

My engine is hesitating and stalling at idle. The lower the gas level, the more pervasive. When close to "E" the stalling is very frequent to the point the car is not properly driveable until I fill-up the tank again.
    Between 3000 and 4000 rpm, the engine sputters some, but pulls through. Otherwise it's running strong.

Theories I've been told:
    * Just BMW gas additive monthly. I used this and it seemed to work better for a short period, but the hesitating and stalling is getting worse in the long run, not better. Was using every 6,000 miles, was told to use monthly.
    * Plastic tank and ethanol reaction. I understand that many gasoline boat engines have been ruined by the ethanol additive in gas. I understand it's breaking down plastic tanks many boats have, instead of a metal tank. BMW has a plastic tank. Has this been a problem?
    * Just need a tune-up - gas and air filters, plugs, etc.
    * Need to pull the tank and flush it as well as flush the fuel lines. A non BMW dealer mechanic pulled the gas filter and said it was clogged.

Any insights would be appreciated.

guillermo guest

I will do a tune up, specialy the fuel filter.

Good luck

Sluggishness and cutting off at idel.

Having simular challenges with my 2002 530I. i will purchase a Bavarian Autosport Tune-Up Kit .For my BMW : 530i will share with you how it does.