Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine Fail Safe Mode

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by nd4spdlsc, Feb 16, 2010.

nd4spdlsc

I am in the process of chasing down the cause of an engine fail safe mode. Prior to this, I had replaced a bad MAF sensor that threw a code.I cleared the codes and the new MAF sensor seems to be working but the engine still goes into fail safe. I don't have a CEL on again, but I get the fail safe warning message.

The codes from my Peake scanner are: 67: Safety Concept Monitoring and 83: Drive-by-wire Throttle Control.

Does anyone know what would cause these codes? Thanks!

nd4spdlsc

I got an additional code later on for Throttle Control Return Spring. There is a test built in to see if the throttle body will close in the event that the electronics need to go into fail safe to prevent a stuck throttle.

The problem turned out to be a failed air filter for my Dinan air intake. The filter's rubber seal dry rotted and the filter fell off. The air filter sock got sucked up and caught in the throttle body. Everything was removed, cleaned, reinstalled, and a new filter and sock are going to be purchased. I blame the incompetent previous owner for never checking the air filter or at least having his mechanic check it. The filter looks like hell and must have been there for the past 8 years.

Having bought and used an Actron CP9180 and a Peake R5/FCX-3-U simultaneously, I can say that the Actron is not only cheaper but does way more than the outdated Peake scanner.