Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine dies

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by GMB19, Sep 5, 2015.

GMB19

I have a 2011 x5 diesel. On 5 occasions, while going <10 mph, the engine dies and the transmission goes into neutral. I have had the X5 checked twice about this and nothing could be found. In fact, no warning or code displays on my screen or on the dealer's scan.
    The most recent time was today. I was going along a gravel driveway at 5 mph or so when it quit.
    Putting it into park and restarting is always successful.
    There is no loss of electrical power.
    There seems to never be any engine issues at speed.
    Any ideas about the problem?

charlson89

An interesting issue you have there. Hard to really say without seeing the dealers fault list that there could be a issue in the backround. When did this start happening like after a repair? Does it seem to do it only during certain temp ranges outside? Or engine cold or warm, a/c on or off?

GMB19

The engine is warm and it has been war, if not hot when this happens.
    There was a question if it occurred after servicing, but the dealer/serviceman specifically looked to make sure everything about the involved area was tight.
    We thought it might have been due to a key fob, so I took it off, only to have the lase episode yesterday.
    The dealer did not find any faults on their interrogation of the system.

charlson89

When the vehicle shuts off does the engine turn off or does all the electrical in the vehicle shut off with it?

GMB19

As noted, the electrical system stays on-radio, fan/air, displays. All of a sudden, no engine noise and no acceleration; glance at the trans indicator and it is in neutral.
    After putting it into park, I push start and it starts right up.