Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

electric gremlin\no start

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by n8ters3, Feb 19, 2009.

n8ters3 guest

Hello to the (BMW) world out there. Thaks to everybody for the help with my power steering issue. Unfortunately I have not been able to work on due to another problem that appered from nowhere. Last friday I went to pull the car from the garage. I had extreme difficulty getting it started. It would turn over but just not fire up. After about 10 to 15 mins. of almost constant (I know not smart but was rather miffed) cranking it finally started. Once going ther was no stumbling, hesitation and so on. she ran fine. I drove around for 30-40 mins to help recharge the battery. Got back and shut it off. About 5 mins later went to start and had no issues. fired right up. Finished work in the garage after about 2 hours, went to move the car, no start. I checked voltage at the battery(connected and dis-connected) fine. There is no power to the interior, windows, mirrors, H-vac and the alt. abs warning lights with the key and ignition in run position. I installed a new ignition switch and still no change. other than the voltage test for starter and selonoid( no extra hands) I have tried the tests listed in the bently manual with no luck. I am looking for any ideas on where else to look when I do test the starter.

randomy

My vehicle just last weekend started acting all wonky. I turned it off after exiting the freeway, and it would not start again. The starter would spin, but was not engaging the flywheel. My electric was going nuts, ASC and ABS lights blinking on and off, the radio going in and out.

After towing it home, I checked the battery and alternator, fine. So I finally assumed the starter was the problem, even for my electrical. With the help of my gf, I push-started the car, drove it the dealer, where they confirmed the starter was bad. Of particular note though, is that they said they would need to inspect various electrical components such as the engine wiring harness to be certain that the starter hadn't caused problems with some of these components. Apparently when the starter has symptoms and fails like this, it often takes some electrical pieces with it.

Here is a good procedure for diagnosing the starter components: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Borrowed/mult_starter_diag.htm

Oh and I'm picking my vehicle up today from the dealer, I'll let you know the final outcome is.