Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E92 Sport Coupe - Which 17" Wheels Fit?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by brjblues, Apr 3, 2010.

brjblues guest

I have a 2007 335i Coupe with the Sport Package, which included the 18" staggered wheel configuration. In anticipation of next winter, I am looking to get some 17" wheels on which I will mount some performance winter tires (e.g. Michelin Pilot Alpin's), but am unsure as to which 17" wheels will fit my vehicle. I am not planning to keep use the "staggered" configuration for the winter tires.

Note, I am also having the Dinan S1 package installed on my vehicle this month which means the suspension will be modified some as well. I don't know whether that may impact what wheels I can use.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bcweir

My advice: do the S1 install first, then revisit the wheel issue

From what I read about Dinan's S1 install, it changes the ride quality. Let them do that first.

If you're still not satisfied with the ride quality, look into the 17 inch rims. Keep in mind that going DOWN a wheel size will slightly soften the ride -- if that's the direction you wanted to go in.

You'll need tires for those 17 inch rims. To keep your speedometer accurate, try to get tires that are roughly the same width as your previous 18 inch tires. You will want to raise the profile measurement by 10 points if you're going DOWN one wheel size. Note that you can FUDGE the profile by 5 points in either direction without incurring a serious speedometer problem, but its best to stay spot on if you can.

The first number is the treadwidth, which you can also fudge as long as you have room between the inside surface of the tire and your suspension and wheelwell. You can also purchase hubcentric spacers to push the wheels outwards to give yourself more room inside your wheelwells. To convert mm to inches, divide the treadwidth measurement number by 25.4. A 225 mm treadwidth yields a measurement of 8.858 inch wide treadwidth, or almost 8 and 7/8 of an inch wide tread. Note that if you go with spacers, it's best to purchase proportionately longer wheel lug bolts so that you can still properly seat and torque the nuts against the wheel.

Example:

Old wheel/tires: 225/50R18
    New wheel/tires: 225/60R17

As far as the wheel fitment is concerned, you can use nearly ANY BMW 5 lug wheel, as long as the backspacing doesn't hit your suspension or your wheelwell. If you don't mind going with staggered tires again, you can probably go with a slightly wider tire in the back.

The only exception to the wheels is the E39 5-series wheels. While these are not a direct fit due to the E39's slightly larger hubs, you can use hubcentric spacers to adapt these wheels to your car. BMW 7-series E38 and E46 3-series wheels are particularly popular BMW wheel choices.

pseto

go to tirerack.com and look for a winter rim/tire setup. you can input your specific car and it'll give you choices of what fits.

egallas

What did you end up deciding? I am facing the same issue. I've gone to Tire Rack and have seen the options but have not made a decision.