Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E92 coupe suspension upgrade dilemma

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 176391, Nov 15, 2009.

Hi,

I have an 08 335i coupe with premium package (no sport). I like the car overall. I do find however that the car has excessive body roll when turning, especially at low speeds. I am looking at installing a Dinan stage 1 suspension or upgrading the wheels to a 18/19" lower profile. The price for the 2 options is fairly similar, about 3K+.

Can anyone advise which one of the above would be a more effective solution?

Thank you.

Brian A

Changing the wheels will have no impact on body roll, so you'll have to look at suspension modifications.

Stiffer springs will reduce body roll, but be aware that the price you will pay is a firmer ride. The line between "firm" and "too firm" is very personal.

Swaybars are secondary, weaker springs which directly affect body roll. You might consider changing those first and see if they reduce roll sufficiently. When both wheels hit a bump at the same time, you won't feel the effect of the swaybars so freeway ride quality is unchanged.

FYI, I have a Dinan Stage 1 with Eibach Adjustable Swaybars in my 1991 318i and have stock springs and Eibach Adjustable Swaybars in my 1987 325ic. On the latter, I was pleasantly surprised at how sufficiently (for me) the swaybars alone reduced body roll in the 325ic. On the former, I love the system; Dinan springs aren't that much firmer but the spring/shock interaction is magic. Both cars have Bilstein shocks (318i: Dinan/Bilstein; 325ic: Bilstein HDs).

Thank you, Brian. Do you happen to know if the installation of the Eibach sway bar voids the factory warranty on the suspension?

crqflier

I have Dinan stage 1 on my 07 e90 335. also added bbs rs-gt wheels and non run flat tires. The ride, handling and performance are all far superior to stock (sport).

Brian A

Sorry I do not.

I do know Dinan sells swaybars, which are factory approved.

If you phone Dinan they can give you advice about what you're thinking about doing.

David1

I put the BMW performance suspension (with the optional BMW yellow springs) on my 09 M-Sport 335 coupe. The kit also comes with a front sway bar. I also installed the M3 control arms front and rear since this gives more negative front camber and the bushings are stiffer. Totally transforms the car and still rides good, actually better than the stock sport package and eliminates the bounce. Lowers the car about a 1/2" up front and at most1/4" in the rear. The drop will be more if you do not have a sport package car to start with.

tres

i think you should consider what you want from your car i have the sport package and i think the only difference is the seats these cars handle well from the factory if youre going to the track then you need to upgrade but if you just want to reduce body roll because of your preference you can spend alot less to achieve your goal