Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90 Sunroof Cassette Problem

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ross.m.litman, Aug 23, 2010.

ross.m.litman

Hey everybody,

As a new member of BMW CCA (as in this year), this is my first time using these forums so bear with me on this first run. I was hoping if any fellow members could provide me insight on this issue:

I drive a 2008 E90 328i with sport package and manual transmission, and about 2 weeks ago noticed a loud rattling coming from the rear of the interior of the car. Now at first I thought it might have been something loose in the trunk, however it turned out it was coming from inside the rear portion of the headliner. The rattling only seemed to be occurring when the sunroof was open. I brought it into my dealer (Ray Catena BMW of Westchester) and they mentioned that some type of plastic retaining clip had broken (the service advisor had a thick accent which I could not quite understand) and that the cassette needed replacement. The car has been with them 7 days (as of this Tuesday 8/24/10) because the part was on backorder. Can anybody enlighten me as to what this is and if this problem has occurred on any other E90s?

Pyewacket1

Sorry... The only time I have had that experience was on a GM vehicle, which doesn't apply here.

But..

If the part is on backorder, why is your car still there?

Isn't it drivable?

Frankly, if my car was awaiting parts on backorder, otherwise drivable, and the dealer didn't inform me, I'd be TICKED! (Unless, I was driving an M3 loaner!)

Maybe there's more to this than I understand.

ross.m.litman

Yeah it is driveable, but apparently they had already disassembled the car and figured it would be too much extra trouble to reassemble it and then disassemble it once again. I am supposed to get the car back tomorrow, it's been 8 days. Thankfully I've had a loaner the whole time.

tradrad guest

hmmmm...yeah, that's been my dealer experience across the BMW board. right hand/left hand, if you get my drift.
    the tech disassembles, based on the tech/consultant diagnosis, but w/o asking parts if the piece in question is IN STOCK....the 'no re-assembly' nonsense is shear laziness and honestly, i've never allowed either if the 3 dealers i use to get away with that. you just have to be quietly firm....they can't MAKE you leave your car there! LOL! loaner or not, that's a drag....in fact, the dealer in waterbury, ct (am i allowed to mention them?? :)) actually went out of their way numerous times to make sure i got my car back on time....fixed or not! unfortunately they've been the biggest culprits of misdiagnosis, hence a problem that should have been under warranty (brought the car to them 5 times and they never diagnosed the issue correctly) is coming out of pocket now! HENCE.....find a great private guy that you can spend time and talk to!

sorry for the longwindedness....a subject close to my heart!
    be blessed....d#

ross.m.litman

And on top of all this, I finally pick up the car today and they FORGOT TO REINSTALL THE WIND DEFLECTOR, the buffeting at 25 mph was quite literally intolerable. I don't know how they missed such a large part. I am furious and temped to call CCA's ombudsmen on Ray Catena BMW of Westchester's misdeeds.

kkratoch

That plastic tray around the sun room cracked on mine. It did not make any noise but it did leak water down the c pillar into the trunk. of course it was on the driver's side. it went right down into where the amp is located and fried it. that was a headache.

EDIT - also the sliding piece on the inside of my sunroof now can close the whole way when the sun roof is on the vent setting. the dealer said it was a new design and it is supposed to do that. I really couldn't care one way or the other.