Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E64 Conv advanced warning field

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by z3540, Jan 16, 2010.

z3540

I have a 2009 BMW 650 conv. 6 speed manual. When I first got it, I noticed that, around the tachometer, there is a "dial" that has "lines" on it that moves to the 3000rpm range when I first start the engine. When the engine warms up, I notice this dial retreats to the 6500 range. Now, that dial does not move at all. I took it to BMW Service and they said that they replaced the instrument cluster and it did not solve the problem. When I pointed it out, they said that they should not have replaced the instrument cluster because the dial does not move. In the Owner's Manual, under tachometer, it says "Avoid engine speeds in the white-striped advance warning field, arrow 1, if possible". Arrow 1 in the manual picture points to the "dial" that I mentioned. Am I imagining this problem?

While I know not to rev the engine until it warms up, I expect all equipment to work on this expensive car.

Thanks in advance for any help to this problem