Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E61 Sunroof Problem

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 391075, Apr 12, 2013.

The sunroof on my 2006 wagon is not operating. Unfortunately it is not a matter of "re-setting" by pushing up on the control button. The sunroof is now closed but seems to be in a jammed position. Does anyone have any experience with such a problem while I await an appointment with my local dealer ?? I am fearing a very expensive repair given the unneccessarily complex nature of the sunroof- starting with the removal of the headliner and the likely need to start replacing parts that I suspect can be very labor intensive.

MGarrison

Somebody else posted a question about a sunroof issue in their E46 (different car, obviously), the issue there seems to be plastic retaining or guide clips or something failing, the sunroof not staying on track, and then the movement cables breaking the plastic 'cassette' that positions the steel cables. If no one pipes up, try some googling, or search bimmerforums.com and/or bimmerfest.com, maybe something will come up that's become a common issue.

Yep. Tracks, cables, guides all replaced. Only items not replaced was the cassette and glass panels. As feared, a very expensive visit to the local dealership. It seems these poorly designed sunroofs have been plagued with problems including a drainage problem that has sparked a class action suit.