Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e46 Touring: New kind of water leak...

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by eblue540, Apr 29, 2014.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

So I am working my way through the doors in the Touring to reseal the vapor barriers inside to stop the very common (for these cars) water ingress mode during heavy rain. But then the next day, I notice heavy condensate on my rear hatch after the last storm. Hmmm... Take up the rear floor. Lift the spare out.. wet! Then I see the plastic tool storage tray to the left side (looking forward while standing at the back of the car) is FULL of water! The water got into the tray, overflowed and ran into the spare well.

Looked and looked couldn't find the source. Had my wife sit in the car while I doused the entire rear with a hose, no water gets in. Cannot find the dang leak. I clean everything up and button it all up vowing to catch it "in the act" at the next heavy rain.

Today = Heavy rain. I get the car in to the garage and open up the rear. A few drops in the tools tray, GOOD; caught it early. Following the stream I end up removing the D-pillar on the left side and see that the water in originating up in the roof above the headliner!

Anyone ever see this particular water leak in their touring? I may need to retire this car from Daily driving duty if I cannot figure this one out.

Ken.S.330

No, I do not have this type of car or seen this leak, but, could it be coming from the sunroof(if you have one). ISTR another person having a problem with the sunroof drains getting blocked and using extra long zip ties to ream them out. (I wonder if string trimmer (aka weed wacker) line would do the same. Do the roof rails attach point look water tight. I'm sure an extra large tube of silicone calk would work magic and look good too. ;)

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I checked and water comes out every drain outlet under the car. There is no water staining on the headliner. There is no water appearing from any portion of the headliner except the left read D-pillar.

I would probably have to drop the headliner to see how it is getting in. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks for the response!