Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Service Indicator Reset

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by winklerwm, Feb 26, 2009.

winklerwm

Can someone describe how to reset the service indicator on a 2003 E46. I followed the instruction given by Bavarian Autosport and was able to get to the reset screen but I couldn't get it to reset.

John in VA

Try this, from http://forum.e46fanatics.com

After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds.

If you couldn't follow that, there's this description:

1. key must be OFF
    2. look at the cluster. there are two buttons. press and hold the left one down.
    3. turn the key to position 1 (KLR).
    4. continue to hold button for approx. 5 seconds after the key is turned to position 1 (you can let go of the key).
    5. after about 5 secs you will see a message in the OBC. it will either flash OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with "RESET SIA."
    6. while the message is flashing, let go and then tap the same button you've been holding and the SIA will reset itself. the cluster will display "END SIA."

winklerwm

John - Thx!! It worked like a charm! My mistake was not hitting the reset button quickly - thanks for your quick reply!