Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 LCD DISPLAY TOO DIM TO READ IN DAYLIGHT

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by jlkeen, Jul 17, 2016.

jlkeen

I have a 2001 330Ci with nav. The LCD display is to dark to read during daylight hours. After dark it is bright enough to easily read. No missing pixels. I've read that there is a back light of some sort that may have failed, but not sure if that's the issue or if the LCD display or it's power supply is the problem. I'm willing and I think able to replace the LCD unit but hesatate to make the investiment in parts unless there is a reasonable chance that it will fix my problem. Would appreciate any input and suggestions concerning this problem. The radio is the model with flip down front and cassette tape player.
    Lynn Keen
    N E Florida

charlson89

jlkeen

Thank you charlson89 for your response to my inquiry. I had not previously attempted to increase the brightness as I was unaware of the "hidden" sub menu. Using the info that you provided I did access the sub-menu and found the brightness was set at 50%. I increased it to max and it did make some improvement. Unfortunately not enough as the display is still unreadable in daytime. The day/night feature was already turned off. Bottom line, since I would like to keep the car as original as possible I guess I'll have to begin the search for a replacement LCD screen or a repair facility that will make the repair. I'd rather attempt the repair myself if I can find a source for the LCD pannel and save some $ if possible. So, once again looking to the community for possible suggestions on a reliable source for either parts or service.
    Lynn Keen
    NE Florida

charlson89