Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Front End

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by dave330i, Jun 8, 2008.

dave330i

I have an '04 330i that has developed a shake on the front end whenever I brake. Initially replaced the tires, needed new ojes anyhow, but other than much improved road noise, the steering wheel jerks whenever I brake the car. I have also noticed there is much more steering play. The car is scheduled to go back in this week, but I'm hopinf somebody may have experienced something similar or knows something....dealer has been chacing this issue fro a few months now and it's starting to drive me a bit crazy.

M3Driver guest

Have you checked your front rotors? Seems like that might the symptom of warped front rotors.

Casseus330iZHP guest

Lower control arm bushing?? But if your dealership can't find the problem then you got a lemon.

Jeron guest

Although it could be a suspension issue you have to start with the most likely which is brake rotors.

dave330i

Thanks, I'm going to mention it to them today when I take my baby in.
    BTW, how do you like your SMG, I have one also and though I spend much time in "D" mode, I do enjoy the shifting when I get in traffic.

M3Driver guest

I really like it. I drive in "manual" mode with the Drive Logic set to the '4' position. It is pretty touchy when driving at low speed, but I re-flashed the ECU with the Dinan software soon after I got the car. That smoothed out the "bucking bronco" that many people have spoken about at low speed.

Nothing like cutting the DSC off, and setting the Drive Logic to '6' and planting your foot to the firewall. Just be sure the roads are straight, dry, and your local 'Deputy Dawg' is on his donut break. :D

niemibl guest

How many miles do you have on your car? Have you had the brake pads or rotors replaced? Control arms have been an issue on the E46. I had mine replaced at around 55,000 miles.