Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 dash noise

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by msmilby5, May 30, 2009.

msmilby5 guest

I have a 2002 325ci convertible with sport pkg and 120k. Recently there has been a mystery noise from the inside of the dash that sounds like an electronic high pitched whinning/buzzing noise that is intermittent. It seems to be originating from the left/center of the dash.

Also the blower started oscillating speeds at start up then goes away after warm up. I ordered the car new and it is mostly dealer maintained. I am trying to get an idea of what the causes are,

drummerfc

No clue what the dash noise is but does the blower go on/off by itself? How about when the car is not running? If so, you need to get that checked out and fixed because the fan running by itself will kill your battery (DUH! ;))

I believe the part is called a "final stage resistor" or something to that effect. My '02 525i had the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't fix it in time and also had to put it a new battery.

Good luck!!

M3Driver guest

Yep; I think Frank hit it on the head. I had similar issue with my '01 330Ci and that's exactly what it turned out to be. I also think that was known issue with some E46 vehicles as well. You might mention that and may get a 'goodwill' warranty repair out of the deal.

msmilby5 guest

Thanks for the info; I remember reading something about this a while back in Roundel but cannot locate the issue. My kids race to the mailbox when it (Roundel) arrives.I find the issues all over, even down at the barn & tack room.

02 325Cics
    88 325is
    90 325ic
    92 525ia

msmilby5 guest

Replaced the resistor and the erratic fan speed went away as suspected. The other dash noise has not recurred yet. Maybe a 2 for one fix.