Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e46 coolant loss

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by tomjbrink, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

tomjbrink guest

Why am i losing coolant on my 2000 323i. there is no coolant on the ground under my car, but every few days i have to add more coolant to the expansion tank. what's going on?

chicane

Well, if it is not falling on the ground (have you checked your splash guard to see if it is puddled up there?) then it is probably being consumed by your engine (i.e. possibly your head gasket). Have you checked your oil to see if it has a milky or creamy consistency or the appearance of moisture or coolant? Do you smell a sweet smell from your exhaust?

tomjbrink guest

Oil is not milky, but I do smell coolant when the engine is running. I just assumed i was smelling the coolant that i spilled. is the e46 head gasket hard to change out?

chicane

Sounds like it could be the head gasket. And no don't put that junk in your coolant, it won't solve the problem.

kominsky guest

Maybe a shot in the dark, but this could be a simpler/cheaper problem than a head gasket. In my previous car, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a pin-hole in one of my hoses. It only leaked (sprayed!) when the car was running and the spray went directly onto the exhaust manifold so there was no sign of coolant under the car. To make it harder to find, in a static state, the hose didn't spray. So sitting in the driveway, looking under the hood, nothing. But when I moved the hoses around, the spray would start. Bumps on the road must have had the same effect.

Good luck!

Jeron guest

I agree with kominsky, a small-ish leak wont show on the ground but you will get the smell in the bay. Check all the hoses carefully for the white powdery residue that BMW coolant is designed to leave behind.

tomjbrink guest

Thanks

It turned out to be the lower radiator hose. It was leaking around the and electrical connector. Thanks for your help
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.