Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 wheels/tires again

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BMikeW, May 5, 2013.

BMikeW

Hi all, It's great to have my own again and not have to share the wife's. I just acquired a 2003 540i/6 and although the car is faily clean-and I love it-unfortunately the original style 37 staggered M Pars were chromed and are badly pitted and I think it would be best to find new wheels. I searched all the posts I could find but haven't found the answer. I love the M5 style 65 "doublespokes" and have heard that if they are fitted on my car -which of course came with the standard lowered MTech II suspension- with the standard-for-the-M5 275/35's, they will rub. I had this issue with my old 2002 of 40 years ago and I don't want to have to roll/cut fenders, do any other mods or worry when the car is heavily loaded. My QUESTIONS are will the half-inch wider M5 wheels work on my car without issues if I fit them with my standard size 265/35 tires and would that tire/wheel combo be too stretched or cause handling issues. One more question is at the front- it appears that the 65's and 37's are exactly the same size/offset so that wouldn't be a problem but would the larger M5 tire size of 245/40 work on my car?

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Well, first: Nice car!

I have not found a one stop place to find the wheel figment info you are searching of, but I have noticed that if you go into the penskeparts.com Web site for e39 540's,you can find the wheels which the factory considered acceptable fits. Just look under the "wheels and tires" option once you are looking at the options for your car. Good luck.

BMikeW

Thanks Chris! I appreciate your reply.