Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 Wheel finish deteriorating

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by daveborn, Oct 4, 2008.

daveborn

I have 2001 530i with 17" cross spoke bolted II alloy wheels. It appears the clear finish on the outside rim has deteriorated, cracked and gets moisture under that turns to a moldy looking mess and spreads like cancer. I know a fix is to get repainted/sealed but does the deterioration effect the alloy? What's the cause?

Autohaus guest

Sounds like you have the Style 5's. One of my Style 5's clear finish is flaking off on the outside part of the rim also but is not getting moisture like you say. Maybe post a pic of your wheel?

daveborn

Here are a couple pictures

maybe these pictures will help someone to help me.

Autohaus guest

I have no idea what that could be. Have you driven with those wheels in snow/salt? Can't be brake dust as I see you keep your wheels/tire's clean. Maybe Moosehead would know.

erapilot guest

That my dear boy is granular corrosion.

It is very common in the aircraft industry, when alluminum or magnesium or their alloys come in contact with moisture, especially that which contains sodium hydrochloride or salt.

Unfortunately, the only cure in that industy is to sand or grind and apply a metal patch, which in this case will not do. If it is not too deep, you may be able to remove it, carefully, and reapply a proper finish. If not, (gulp), get ready to lighten your wallet.

Best of luck and cheers.

m33m guest

refinishing

you can get them refinished, but it's expensive. You can try sanding and putting on some clear laquer but you will see it, it won't look as bad as it does now. There are many posts on the bimmerforums site about refinishing style 5's which are similar.

ViolinARC guest

Agreed...

+1...common aluminum corrosion. I agree that they can be refinished but it's still gonna show, how much...I'm not sure. You'll have to discuss that in more detail with your refinisher. Now I feel lucky that it's only my paint and clearcoat peeling off my Style 32's...:eek:

BTW, great set of wheels so save 'em if you can IMHO. GL...

M3Driver guest

Great excuse to spring for new set of BBS' !!:D

Use of certain wheel cleaners can eat away the clear (always read the label) and once it starts it creeps on. You might check with the places that do wheel repair and I'll bet they can refinish them for you where they would look good as new. Cheaper than new wheels but not as much fun....:)