Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e39 Touring Rear Window Leak

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Jellobmw, Jul 5, 2011.

Jellobmw

The bottom of the frame on the rear hatch window has been getting a bit rusty, and now some of the area where the window meets the hatch as well. I had been attributing this to our wet Vermont weather.

But the latest is that I'm getting water into the spare tire well, which I've only traced as far as coming in around the window.

Suggestions on where to look, before I tear into it?

ViolinARC guest

Hmmm...

I too have some water getting into my spare wheel well but I believe mine is coming from around the tail lights. It does sound like you have a leak around your window too, which could be a torn or worn out liner in your door.

From my understanding, our cars have a lifetime rust warranty on the body (everything is supposed to be zinc coated) so you may want to look into that. I'd also check the plastic liner between the inner panel/door for the window leak where the rust is showing and check with the dealer about the rust warranty. As for the water in your spare tire well, check to be sure the tail light mounting bolts are intact (I'm missing two on the passenger side) and that the nuts are snug so that the seal is seated properly. GL and keep us posted...