Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 touring center seat belt removal/replacement

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by pdg17838, Sep 28, 2009.

pdg17838

I am trying to figure out how to remove the rear center seatbelt from an e39 touring (station wagon) . The center seat belt is stuck and will not pull out. I am reasonably certain that the belt is not twisted inside the seat. I feels like a spring that holds a ratchet pawl in the seat belt mechanism is not working properly. The seat belt is "locked" even when it is all the way retracted.

The drawing on the realoem web site the seat belt mechanism is located in the upper portion of the folding rear seat back from the parts list available from realoem web site. The tricky part is how to get the carpeted trim piece off from the back of the seat. It might have some clips that one just pries off but it was not obvious how to do this.

Thanks for suggestions and ideas. I have the Bentley e39 manual and it shows how to remove the seat belt for the sedan rear seat but not for the touring rear seat.

David

bmwfxr

Before you try to remove, make sure the seat back is locked in place....back all the way and then try the seat belt again. If it is still won't budge...you remove the seat bottom by first removing the rear cargo cover storage mounts below the seat bottom. The mounts have to be removed and then pull up on the seat bottom which will allow you to maneuvor it up and out of the vehicle. Presto you are now in command.