Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 Headling Assembly

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by fweinberg11, May 28, 2009.

fweinberg11

E39 Headlght Assembly

ironically, both of mine have failed at 140k on my 540. Looks like a $1,400 fix. Any ideas for workarounds? Symptom is that low beam now points VERY low, while high beam points where the low beam should be. Driveable, but not going to pass VA inspection.

granthr

Try getting used ones by calling the BMW dismantlers in the back of Roundel or ebay.

CSBM5

dms540i

This is a very easy fix. Buy the new plastic adjusters shown in the link at any dealer - they are cheap compared to new headlight assemblies! Lots of threads on the net will show you how. And you can clean up & polish the lenses inside & out so they look good as new when you're done.

fweinberg11

interesting. I called a local dealer and they tell me that there are no listing for the plastic adjusters.....that all they can offer is the complete headlight assembly.

Are you referring to the link in the reply above yours?

CSBM5

dms540i

Yes follow the link above my post. Any reputable dealer should be able to sell you a set. I bet you can get the part number from Realoem on the web. They are common and easy to replace. I'm sure you can get them by mail, too. And next time anybody asks you about that dealer you know what you can tell them. Good Luck!

fweinberg11

thanks everybody

I found a local mechanic who seems to know what to do.....he's going to take a look at it. I'll let you all know what I found out.