Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 Climate Control System

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by nogooch, Nov 10, 2008.

nogooch guest

Everytime I start up my 2001 540i, the climate control system automatically turns on as well. Living in California and keeping the car garaged both at home and at work, I rarely need heat or a/c. Despite making sure the system is turned off before shutting down the ignition, the fan kicks right on again at startup. How do I set my controls so that the system only turns on when I decide to turn it on? Thanks for any help!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I believe that only the dealer or a shop with an Autologic/GT1 can do that, but I could be wrong.

Jeron guest

I hate that "feature" as well. I dont think there is a way to keep it off.

Louis guest

I don't know if this is the answer, but my car retains the last setting but only if the car was driven a minimum amount of time (don't quote me on this but I believe it is about 15-20 minutes). It may also have to do with the owner selectable choice (settable only by the dealer's computer) - whether the HVAC setting of 'key selectable' is on or off. This is one of the things that can be set to the owner's choice (along with daytime running lights on or off, flashing lights with alarm arm or disarm, etc.)

svartorn

This is what my 2001 540 does as well.