Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 540i Cooling System

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by terrking, Apr 5, 2010.

terrking

I have a question concerning the cooling system in my 2001 540i Sport 6spd. The car has 90k on it. About 1,300 miles ago I had the coolant flushed and new coolant added. The last few times I have driven the car, the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL warning indicator has popped up on the trip computer. I have checked the level and it appears to be fine. This morning, The thermostat in the car, which I was under the impression is utterly useless these days, actually moved up to the 3/4 position on two or three sperate occasions during my 45 minute drive. The needle did not stay at that level, and returned to the mid point. I was not driving the car under any "extreme conditions" as the BMW owners manual references may cause a change in engine temp.
    Any thoughts on what issues I should be looking for? The car is not driven daily, and can sit for a couple of weeks at a time. Hence, the coolant was changed in Oct. but the car has only been driving 1,300 miles since.
    Thank you in advance.

pseto

could be a loose hose/clamp that would cause intermitent overheating. when was the last time the water pump and thermostat were changed? i would recommend that those be changed if they are still the original ones

bcweir

You may have an air bubble trapped in your cooling system

Click on this link for general instructions on how to resolve this issue:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7369_burp-cars-cooling.html

i have the same issue going on, have you yet found out what was causing yours to run a little hott????