Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 stalling issue

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Moogs, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Moogs

Hi,
    I posted this yesterday but it was closed for some reason. Here it is again:
    I had a new top put on my 99 323i convertible, and when I picked the car up, the engine started with some difficulty then immediately stopped. It'll stay running if I keep my foot on the gas. I drove it home this way, then tried resetting the car's computer by disconnecting the battery for half an hour, then letting it sit with the key on for five more minutes after re-connecting it. It's an automatic transmission. Nothing changed, except now when I drive it, it's banging, really hard, into each gear whether it's shifting up or down. I also have a dash warning light on now that looks like a gear with an exclamation point inside. The light is yellow, not red.
    It's worth mentioning that the car wasn't having any problems whatsoever before I brought it to the upholstery shop for the new top. I know these guys reasonably well and don't believe they drove the car at all or abused it in anyway. They did run the battery down pretty good by putting the top up and down a bunch while working on it, but other than that, I don't think anything else went on.
    I don't have an owner's manual and so I don't know what that warning light means. I'm assuming it's indicating transmission service.
    Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.