Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E36 Oil Service Interval Reset

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by DRP, Nov 17, 2009.

DRP guest

FYI - many of you might know this, but if you do DIY oil changes you will likely want to reset the service interval light in the dash. There are tools out there from $50 to $100 that do this, but I found on other forums that you can do it by grounding out "Pin #7" in the diagnostics data port under the hood.

Here is a good guide with photos: http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/02/24/reset-bmw-e36-oil-service-light/

It did not work for me with a paper clip (probably because the paper clip did not have good electrical contact or conductivity) but it worked with a piece of bent copper clothes hanger (or I suppose thick copper wire should work just as well). I held the contact until I counted to about 7-Mississippi and it worked like a charm. Saves money and time as you don't need a tool and you don't need to bring the car into a shop.

Might be worth a try. It worked for me.

Joe

tiFreak

I've heard of that, lot's of people on the 318ti forum do it, I've found that having my battery disconnected for 5-6 months while the car's in storage usually does it though ;)

bigjussin guest

pins

was pins 7 and 19 on my 97 m3