Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 Differential Replacement

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by teamcna, Jun 25, 2010.

teamcna guest

I'm 80% certain the diff on my 97 M3 daily driver is shot. It is not driveable. I'm shopping for a replacement, but can't find one locally and am agonizing over shipping costs added to an expensive part that I can't say for certain will fix my problem. Locally there is one available from a 97 328i for only $50. I realize, of course that this is not a limited slip diff and that the ratio is taller. My question is, however, would it fit and function? If so, I could have the car back on the road tomorrow and for next to nothing. This would give me plenty of time to locate the correct part locally and the confidence to know that I was throwing 3 or 4 hundred in the right direction.

tiFreak

I'm pretty sure it will physically fit underneath the car, I do know that some E36's have a 4-bolt flange and some have a 6-bolt, I can't remember which have which though so I don't know if the M3 and 328 would match up

Yahweh

Where are you located? I might have a diff for you.