Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E34 525iT tail gate

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by smokefxguy, Mar 22, 2010.

smokefxguy guest

Well I just bought a 1993 525iT and would like to find out how the tail gate is suppose to work. The Bentley is not much help with the touring car and the guy I talked to at BMW Manhattan said there is a button on the wiper elbow that will open the glass..... I can not find a button. What I have found are two push lever areas above the license plate center and to the right. They do not seem to work but then again I'm not sure how it's all suppose to work any way. Are there electrical relays? One more item please... when I push the driver door lock button down which sends the others into the lock mode, the drives button pops up before I can get the door closed. Is this normal. Thanks in advance... smokefxguy.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

OK, the one on the right opens the glass and the one on the left opens the hatch. If neither of them work, you likely need to replace the tailgate harnesses (check here for info http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Harness .) You can manually unlatch the hatch by turning the key all the way counterclockwise (I think that is the way, if that locks the car, turn it the other way.)

You can't lock a BMW by pushing down the door button with the door open. That is to keep you from locking your keys in the car. Just use the key to lock the door from the outside.

smokefxguy guest

Thanks Paul for the info... i'll let you know how I make out at some point... thanks again.

smokefxguy guest

Paul, The link says there is a switch? Is it on the dash some where? It says where to find the relay but not the switch. Is there a better manual where I can find info about the 525iT?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

What switch are you talking about? The switch to release the glass? If so, that is the one on to the right above the license plate.

There is no manual other than the factory repair manual, if you can get it.

smokefxguy guest

yea, I guess that's the switch they are talking about. Thanks again.