Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 crazy instruments fixed

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian Cassity, Oct 14, 2009.

Brian Cassity

A while back I sought advice on speedo and tach that were off and on as they saw fit, a temp. guage that did not work at all. New senders for speedo and temp. no help; new s.i.m. board no help; finally a new middle board and the whole thing works perfect. Only paid $125 thru e-bay "Car Parts Discount" for the Programa brand. Quick shipping and well packaged.

John in VA

Congrats! Who was the eBay seller? I didn't find anything with "Car Parts Discount."

Tahoe guest

My E30 speedo and odo weren't working at all so I pulled it, sent it to North Hollywood Speedometer, paid $150 and it was returned working like new.

MGarrison

Programa was a Roundel advertiser in past years - are they selling stuff on EBay now?

aurelius guest

Not sure what you mean by s.i.m. board but the typical (and cheap) fix for these symptoms is to replace the batteries on the SI (service indicator) board. There is a how-to here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...placing_service_indicator_board_batteries.htm

Batteries Plus, a chain of battery stores, has replacement batteries and will usually help you with battery removal and re-soldering. Not sure if Radio Shack stocks these batteries.

While the instrument cluster is out and if it has not already been done, replace the odometer gears. Detailed instructions at odometergears.com .

BMcW

Good info. Luckily this is one of the few things on my car that hasn't broken.

Brian A

Another alternative is to convert the SI board to using standard rechargable AA batteries as documented in May 2007 Roundel.