Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E21 timing chain noise

Discussion in 'E21 (1977-1983)' started by SW320i, Nov 14, 2008.

SW320i guest

Hello all.

My `82 320i made classic timing chain rattle on deceleration. I just
    replaced the chain, guides, and tensioner and the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on where to look next?

The car starts and runs well, 135K on the odometer.

Many thanks.

Seth
    :confused:

Jeron guest

Is your tensioner hydraulic(oil pressure) or spring? If it is hydraulic, it may take a while for it to fill up and build pressure/tension.

SW320i guest

The tensioner is spring-driven. I've replaced the spring, and even tried shimming it for a little extra push and the noise persists. The problem is barely noticeable when the engine is cold
    and gets worse when the engine is warm. It's also worse when the weather is warmer.

PS-You have impeccable tasted in bikes. I rode an R60/5 and an R90S in an earlier life.

Seth

Jeron guest

Thanks. I love the bike. It is exactly what I wanted and expected. Its my first bike. I bought it from a buddy who upsized to a K1200LT. The configuration with the trunk off and bags on is perfect to lay my hockey bag across so I can ride to games. Not many bikes can do that.

With all the parts you have replaced, are you certain it is the chain? I cant think of better candidate since your condition seems like classic chain rattle, but maybe its time to think outside the box. Have you listened to it with a stethoscope?

SW320i guest

You can't beat the practicality and versatility of the R-bikes. I could carry four bags
    of groceries in my Krauser bags. The preference for mechanically simple machines
    is what drew me to the R-bikes and the E-21.

As for the rattle, I don't think it's the timing chain, but I don't know what else that would
    make a similar sound. It's definitely coming from the engine. I recently tightened the
    alternator belt and that helped some, so now, I'm thinking alternator. (I replaced the
    water pump when I did the timing chain.) I'll check that out next. I hadn't thought about
    listening more closely as the sound only occurs when the car's in motion, and I can't run
    that fast. B;-)

Seth

Jeron guest

I would expect the chain to make noise as the RPM's drop while reving the engine in the garage.

You can run the engine for a minute with the belt off, maybe try that to diagnose if its is belt drive related.

Next time it is making the noise try turning or braking hard to see if you can get the noise to change.