Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E21 323i Ignition Timing

Discussion in 'E21 (1977-1983)' started by ctexter, Mar 27, 2008.

ctexter

I'm trying to dial in my newly acquired 323i and have a question about timing marks on the harmonic balancer. Which mark do I use when timing with a timing light and do I line it up with the pointer (part of the sensor supporting bracket) adjacent to the magnetic sensor?

Thanks,

Chris

MGarrison

Wish I had a specific answer for ya Chris - however, I think your 323's engine might be a early form of the the eta M20 engine (I could be totally wrong too) - but if it is, the E30 Bentley manual might have that info for you.

mjweimer

I don't have any direct experiences with a 323i but on an M10 4 cylinder you adjust timing to the 'Z' mark on the flywheel with the vacuum advance disconnected at a certain rpm (varies by model year).

Are the timing marks for the M20B23 on the front pulley?

Maybe this link will help?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10781298

There is no specific info on where the timing marks are located but there is good info regarding timing specs and setting static timing.

Matt

ctexter

Thanks for the input. It seems these early small sixes have a different timing scheme. I have timing marks on the harmonic balancer and that is also where the magnetic pickup is located for use with BMW test equipment.

Also, I have found a source for a Haynes manual covering the Euro E21's so I hope to find what I need there.

Thanks,

Chris

mjweimer

Good score on the Euro E21 Haynes manual. Hopefully it will have all the info you need.

Good Luck!

Matt