Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E 30 Ignition switch replacement

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by remgitano, May 2, 2021.

remgitano

A curious issue has occurred with my '91 325i, manual transmission: inserting the key into the ignition and attempting to start the car, the first detent unlocked the steering column in a normal manner; however, twisting the key further to start the vehicle, there was no "spring sensation" which one senses when engaging the starter. Needless to say, the car will not start. The battery is fully charged hence I believe I need a new ignition switch.

Upon review of the Pelican website just such a part is depicted:
    Part number 61-32-1-377-069 BOE (for SRS cars only).

Before I order the part, am I correct in my thinking or do I need something else. Is it fair to assume the installation is straight forward? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

remgitano

Looking on the DIY forum I find it fascinating the number of views vs replies for most queries. Either the BMW DIY site is to help one another or it is simply a site of voyeurs, so which is it? The same thing occurred last year when I posted a problem as simple as my radio. Helpful? No! Crickets! Ok, I don't own the latest "hot set up 3 series" nor would I want to, but where is the so called comerarderie of the BMW faithful, "let me help you out brother!"? I am a bit perplexed. All I want to know is it the switch barrel, ie, the key part or the electronic part. I'm not exactly asking for the winning Mega Million winning numbers. So far, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the web site. Perhaps I should be asking for the best options for a new M3 or 5.

MGarrison

The forums are sparsely populated so I'd think assuredly any lack of response is not there being any bias against classic models. I used to be on frequently but family life precludes much time here with any consistency. If you do a lot of diy projects the Bentley manual for the E30 may be helpful. I can't recall if it addresses ignition switch removal, offhand I'd say internet searching will find various how-to videos and posts in the other BMW-specific forums. See what you can find, it's been so long I can't recall what to do but it's not as simple as a couple of bolts. Offhand I'm guessing the spring-loaded part isn't the lock (see parts 3 vs 4 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-1991-E30-BMW-325i&diagId=32_0854#61321377069 ). I recall having to replace the lock cylinder on my E30 ages ago. The keys wear also as do the door locks - unless you replace your door locks after x-many years or 150k miles or with some regularity at the early signs of wear, (risking getting locked out with the deadbolts engaged) then one alternative is locking the car using the trunk lock. I didn't get to look at the pictures pelican has, perhaps search ebay as well as other retailers for pics that might clarify. I think the lock part just fits the key and is the lock cylinder with the tumblers.