Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

dual mass flywheel/clutch question '97 528i

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by HughV, Apr 21, 2014.

HughV

Hi

I have a clutch replacement going on on my 97 528i 170k mi. Clutch was engaging @ very top of travel. Daughter's car, etc. So to avert a possible stranding.... Turns out disk is pretty fine. Long way to the rivets. Nothing wrong with the hydraulics that I can think of that would cause this.(?) Question, flywheel, dual mass, has maybe 5 deg rotation relative to hub/ring gear combo. Easily moved back and forth by hand. No perceptible radial play. Is this normal? Possible it shifted axially and is causing the high pedal? Your thoughts are appreciated! Trying not to spend 5 to 800 on a flywheel, getting to be a rust bucket....

(I did post on e39 forum)

Thank you,
    Hugh V
    Littleton ma,

charlson89

That shouldn't effect clutch pedal travel and yes with that mileage I would expect the dual mass rubber to have some flex to it. Could be a pressure plate I have had 1 before cause a high clutch pedal. Also make sure the master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder are in good working order as well those affect clutch pedal feel a lot.

HughV

Flex isn't really what it is like. I can move it back and forth and it stays where I leave it, i.e. it doesn't return to the same place. Question is, I guess, is it supposed to be a bonded rubber connection between the 2 (like there was a guibo in between them) or more like rubber bumpers with free play in between (which is what it
    feels like)? I am thinking it should be the former, and that whatever is in there it couldn't possibly stand slamming back and forth each time one accelerated or decellerated like it is now. But then that's what I'm asking about.... It did chatter a bit on engagement, iirc, as well.

I do have a new pp and master and slave cyls too. Thanks for your help.

Hugh

charlson89

Yes it will cause some chatter from the rubber being worn out because all the rubber does is absorb the vibrations from the engagement of the clutch. Probably time to replace the flywheel if it is not rebounding after twisting it in one direction or the other.