Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dry rot on my windshield seal

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Jevangelista, May 29, 2016.

Jevangelista

First timer here!
    Was waxing my 2006 Z4 and noticed that the upper windshield seal is completely dry rot and crumbling away. Can anyone suggest a place on line for me to purchase a new one? If so, is this a do it yourself job (it doesn't seem to be part of the the windshield install or support system) or must I go to a windshield shop or my local wrench wizard?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2006 Z4
    2013 328xi Sport Wagon

charlson89

Would you mind taking a picture I believe for the z4 there are two seals in that area one for windshield and one for the convertible top. From what you described it sounds like it's the one around the windshield which requires the windshield to be removed.

mvalet

Does not require the windshield to be removed. I just did my 2007 to include the cowl and my brothers 2006. Depends if the window was ever replaced as some shops glue it in place but even then easy to get out and if it was glueed (rtv) you just have to trim it back at the edge of the window to make the new gasket fit. Mine wasn't and the entire gasket just pulled out. Many fourms have the replacement steps which are very easy to follow.