Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DIY Pulley Replacement - need tools

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Ferruccio, Jan 24, 2010.

I know exactly what tools I need in order to replace the pulleys on my E39 540i. Unfortunately, I currently live in the Colorado Springs area, and I could be leaving at any moment. If I buy a bunch of tools (I literally have no tools), then I will have to find a way to haul everything I have + my tools with me to wherever I go. I also have no maintenance experience. I have the service manuals, and I am pretty sure I know what I need to do to replace the pulleys. I even have the replacement pulleys.

I was wondering, is there anyone in the Colorado Springs area that is willing to offer some assistance with repairing my car? I mainly need an expert with tools who can at least verify that what I am doing is the correct thing to do.

I joined this club because I would love to make some connections with other owners in the area, and I need a good starting point for doing my own repairs. At 122,000 miles, this is not the car that I would like to pay labor costs in repairing. I am willing to pay any costs for temporarily using someone's tools and getting their assistance, though!

Given the countrywide base of the national club forums, you might have better immediate luck starting with your local chapter, unless someone here who is active coincidentally is in your area. Check your local chapter's website and try contacting you chapter officers, who I would guess have contacts or suggestions for you. Good luck w/ your project!

ventsyv guest

You just need a wrench and a pipe wrench. Maybe a flat screwdriver as well, but no special tools are required. If you don't have those tools... you can always try the local chapter. I'm sure someone will be willing to help you.