Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diesel Economics

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Jonathan Spira, Jan 29, 2010.

Jonathan Spira guest

I´ve been giving a lot of thought to the price points for various diesels (including the 335d) - esp. compared to their petrol-powered equivalents - and this turned into a short essay which turned into a longer treatise.

Would love to hear everyone´s thoughts on this.

Link to Diesel Economics 101

Let me know what you think.

[IMG]

granthr

I am a huge diesel fan, although I don't own any at the moment. I grew up in the house of Der Diesel. At one point my parents had three diesels, 67 Benz (was my grandfathers, still in the family), 80 VW Vanagon Diesel, yes it was factory and a boxer, and an 86 Jetta Diesel. The vanagon was dog in every sense. Hills were second gear affairs at 30 mph.

The Jetta became mine for college and I put many frugal miles on it. It really helped my beer budget!!!! :D 40 plus mpg. A full tank cost about $12 and got me 400+ miles.

I hope to buy a BMW diesel some day. I wish BMW had brought them over sooner, other than the E28. I would really like to have a 123d with sport package, 5 door. Actually I would love to drop that motor and trans in an E30!!! :D :D

az3579

A few ways to look at it:

With Eco Credit = worth buying regardless of lease or purchase
    Without Eco Credit = not worth buying if you're just leasing, worth if you plan on keeping for a long time

Or,

Not worth it if you enjoy shifting gears yourself, the proper way
    Worth it if you just don't care for the necessary third pedal
    ^^ This is my way of looking at it. :p

Alighieri guest

I've maintained this stance, and I'm not going to change it here:

If you discount the d because it's got the Steptronic, you don't deserve to have the car. ;) :D