Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dice Mediabridge... just can't figure it out...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by x888jmo, May 11, 2012.

x888jmo

I've spent the better part of a day installing a Dice Mediabridge (purchased at Bavarian Soundwerks) for my '02 E39 540. Seemed like a deal to get an Aux and USB input, iphone/ipod integration and bluetooth for under $300, if it worked! Here are the details...
    Car has a DSP system so had to add the DSP adapter. Spliced into the 12V and Ground cables on the 15pin connector on the amp and soldered in power leads for the DSP adapter. Checked connection and have a solid 12v. Plugged in the co-ax cable form the adapter to the amp, snapped in solid. Ran all other cables as instructed in the bavsound video. Connected everthing and reconnected the battery.
    Results:
    Mediabridge works as described in the manual as far as selecting inputs, pairing bluetooth devices, displaying songs from the iphone, etc. EXCEPT there is absolutley NO SOUND! The radio and in-dash CD work fine.
    Either I have a faulty DSP adapter or a bad coax input on the DSP amp. Anyone no how to troubleshoot the amp? I have calls into Bavsound but no response yet. Talked to tech support at Dice and they said it sounds like a bad adapter and only Bavsound can send a replacement.
    Thought this forum might have some insight.
    Thanks!
    x888jmo
    02 540 sport
    04 Z4 3.0
    07 328xi
    (ALL 3 pedal 6 speeds)

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I did that same install on my '98 DSP 540. It sounds like you were methodical and you double checked all connections to devices and you have tried the USB connection wired to an ipod/iphone. It does seem like the new DICE part. The remote mic wire plug just fell off of the one I received. Took a few weeks, but they did send a replacement.

Did you try to reconnect the CD changer (assuming you removed a 6 CD changer as part of the install)? That would pretty much confirm all your equipment is OK.

It will have been worth it when it works!

x888jmo

Chris, I did not have a changer so that's why I'm unsure if the input on the amp works. Not a typical beast that I could plug another source into easily... Thanks for the reply!
    Jim

x888jmo

Well, I finally did figure it out... The co-ax jack from the adapter to the amplifier is a REALLY tight fit, ended up pushing it on with a pair of needle nose pliers. Once seated, it all works great! The mediabridge works as advertised and is a deal for all you get. Installation was easy, bit time consuming as I was very careful with all my trim (plastic tends to get brittle after ten years).

Here are a couple pics of the fabrication for the USB and Aux input jacks.
    IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG

Bought the extension cables at an auto audio installer ($30 for both) and CAREFULLY drilled out the left face of the cup holder. Cup holders still work (at least as well as these peices of c#%p always have). Media bridge is installed behind the glove box for fairly easy access.

I'm real happy with the operation and sound quality, also great to have hands-free for the phone!

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Looks good! I chose to bring the USB plug so that it just pops out from the plastic trim piece on the passenger side of the center console. No drilling and I can make it disappear if desired. Seems to work OK even if is not as "installed" looking as what you did.

One of my favorite mods to date.

two30grain

that looks excellent! i need to do something like that with my Dice MediaBridge. Right now i just have an aux cable and usb cable coming from under the dash!

x888jmo

As a follow up... Just installed the BSW Soundplicity unit in my Z4. Works great with the iPhone/iPad. No Bluetooth but who needs it in a roadster. Can't hear the phone anyway. I have to give BSW a thumbs up!