Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Daytime lights

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Hot 540, Aug 18, 2008.

Hot 540 guest

Ok ...friends have a new problem. My daytime light are not working on my 1999 E39. High beams are ok. Is it the same bulb. I tried a new high beam bulb but no luck...both sides are out.....maybe fuse and if so can any one tell me location...thanks
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You did not say if you have xenon lights or where you are (this may make a difference.)

Hot 540 guest

day time running lights

Yes the car has xenon lights and I am in mass...Thanks

mooseheadm5

Hot 540 guest

day time running lights

I thank you for taking the time out in helping me with this... but i found no bulb, i even removed the clear lens and still no bulb. Only high beam bulb and the little square opening on light assemmbly still has plastick in place(no opening)....no wires either...is it possible that the bulb for high beam is also the daytime bulb all in one....I know for a fact that i had daytime running lights i even verified with previous owner. I'm not crazy......LOL

mooseheadm5

Not crazy. The other possibility is that the DRLs are run by the body control module and can be turned on and off. If this is the case, they may have reset to off for some reason. Unfortunately for you, the only people that can turn them back on need to have either an Autologic or a GT1 which means a dealership or a well equipped independent shop. You may want to call the stealer and ask.

Hot 540 guest

day time running lights

Ok.....Thanks I will keep you posted...One more question, I just had bad pixel repaired at stealer a few weeks ago...they replaced the instrument cluster in dash. Im sure they had to play with some wires....could this have caused the problem.

mooseheadm5

It could have occurred when the reflashed the new cluster. Ask them about it, and be sure to mention that "ever since you worked on my cluster, my DRLs don't work" and see if they will fix it as a courtesy, but be very very nice (at first) then get progressively firmer with them if they don't agree to fix it.