Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Daily driver

Discussion in 'i3 (2014 - present)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Jul 20, 2017.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Well I have started this search for a new daily driver. Have looked at 3 series my real preference. Next in line was the 228i which got good reviews from a few owners. I stopped by the local dealer today looking at used 228's. He had only 2 and they were both automatics. While we were talking and I was explaining my need for a new daily driver (Honda 1997 405K) he thought an i3 would be a great choice. Any thoughts?

MGarrison

I think you'd have to assess if an i3 fills the bill for your fun-to-drive daily driver criteria. To me, the styling in particular makes them a "if that's your cup-of-tea" kind of vehicle. I think they look best in black, which minimizes the visually jarring effects of the too-funky-gone-wrong styling elements, although I'm not particularly keen on black cars otherwise. Not sure how much fun you get out of those skinny tires on a (seemingly) relatively high-center-of-gravity vehicle. In theory, your gas costs for your daily transit should be less, I don't know by how much. Sounds to me like the person you were talking too went to the i3 based on the weekly commute mileage numbers, and he wouldn't of course have had the background info you've discussed here.

If you like it, go for it, although if you're inclined towards an E90, thoroughly check & drive the i3 to avoid buyer's remorse. Last thing you want is to be muttering to yourself for the entirety of both directions of your daily commute "I wish I'd gotten that other car!" ;)

I totally get what you are saying. The 2 is more my cup of tea for sure with a 6speed. Like to see all the options. Right now 2's are not so easy to find!

MGarrison

autotrader.com, cars.com, ebay.com, you can search inventories off the USA BMW website specifying desired options, & autotempest.com particularly for broader-swath craigslist searches.

MGarrison

Just for example, the BMW site, searching starting with their cpo inventory page, after some tweaking, shows 14 228i manuals across the country -

I'm a sucker for dark blue..... https://www.bmwofgreenwich.com/detail-2014-bmw-2_series-228i-used-16489741.html Lowest priced one, $23,981, next two $23,990 & $23,995

Autotrader shows 22 manual 228i's, but you have to look at pics or run the vins, autotrader always has automatics incorrectly listed as manuals.

Me, I'd want the 6-cyl. turbo motor, but, bigger motor (insert Tim Allen gorilla grunts here), but, at cost of mpg's. :D

Lowest autotrader - $22,999, blue, 28k mi.

MGarrison

Oh I have begun the search for sure! Have to wait till Feb for replacement due to insurance issue that will clear by then. Thanks for your insight. We seem to be two of the most active members in the forums!

floydarogers

My brother-in-law just traded his daily E90 2007 330i (MT!) in for an i3; likes it swell.
    Jim doesn't drive much, though. He only put 85K miles on his 330i after buying it new.