Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

cracked windshield

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by idoc328, Mar 29, 2008.

idoc328 guest

I recently had a stone tossed at my '07 328i from a big dump truck on a highway. This caused a crack in the base of my windshield which i only noticed a few days later. BMW said this is not covered under they're warranty and would cost about $1100 (incl. labor). A local glass/windshield repair company will come to my house and replace it for about $450 (incl labor). Problem is, its not an OEM windshield, and BMW is telling me the rain sensor is going to be different and any problem associated with it or the windshield as far as leaks that can subsequently affect the car will not be covered. This is a huge difference in price was wondering if any out there has replaced they're factory windshield with a generic and had any issues with them. Any info would be great.

330indy1

your insurance should cover this....

and you should also be allowed to get the BMW original replacement.

what's up with that?

M3Driver guest

Windshield damage is not a warranty item (I've had two replaced). My insurance takes cares of it so I don't pay. If your insurance is covering, go to the BMW dealership and ask who replaces THEIR windshields and tell your insurance company that is who you want to use. If it is coming out of your pocket, well, I'd pony up and pay it. You don't know what kind of problems (leaks, etc..) will come with an non-OEM type glass. Then I'd take a look at my policy and see what it would cost to have that coverage picked up. Seems to me it's not a whole lot. Good luck.

danzee

Did you check with your insurance company? Replacement should be covered by your the comprehensive coverage. You should have the right to an OE windhsield or LKQ, meaning the sensor would have to work properly in your car. I have never had difficulty getting the OE replacement parts, windshield or otherwise, from with Allstate or Erie. There is a chance they may completely exclude consequential damage to the rain sensor. For example, they don't usually cover damage to the windshield mouldings when the glass is replaced. Can't hurt to ask.

Z

idoc328 guest

My insurance company ended up covering the windshield. I was asking the insurance rep about OEM windshield for my car, and according to them, BMW gets their windshield from a 3rd party which makes windshields for Mercedes and BMW. Thats considered premium windshield which i had to get an authorization for it to be covered. Which I did. So all I paid was a $50 deductible. So far its been 2+ weeks and no problems.

M3Driver guest

I think they (OEM) are made by company called "Pinkerton".

alotawatts

Pilkington

Late reply here ......but it's "Pilkington"