Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Correct Battery size/group for a tii? 21R? 22R? 26R?

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by rossof355, May 30, 2012.

rossof355

Which is it? It is nearly impossible to find a correctly-sized tii battery, but I'm still trying....

bcording

I believe the proper sized battery ia an I-26R. Interstate Battery makes it with a 65 month guarrantee and it used to cost $81.95. Try www.interstatebatteries.com. I have the wrong size battery in my fully restored 1973 2002tii and it is so large it barely fits in the battery area. Batteries Plus on Lee Hyway near Chilies would also be a good place to look.

Buck Cording
    1973 2002tii FOREVER

rossof355

Buck, I think you may be correct, but I couldn't find a 26R with tabs at the ends for mounting, so I ended up getting a Bosch 2002/320i/lots of other BMWs battery (which they say fits tii also in their cross-references, but it technically is too long). At least that one (a group 47 I think, p/n S5531B) fits in the tray properly, tucks in at the front edge under the tray's built-in hold-down flange, and (just barely) clears the master cylinder. You can't use the proper (rear) tii hold-down, but my tray already had a small hole on the inboard side, which worked perfectly to hold down the inner edge of this new battery, so I figured that's as good as I'm going to get, and it can't move around, and is held down in two locations.
    If anyone knows of a 26R that has the Euro-style (low) tabs on the ends, I'm all ears, but I'm not sure that battery exists any longer. I wish Mobile Tradition would re-introduce a proper tii battery. I'd pay them up to $200 for one if they did....