Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Convertible rear suspension squeak

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mrl325i, May 31, 2010.

mrl325i

The title says it all. Shocks and mounts are new. There is a squeak from the rear passenger side when driving and I can also make it squeak by pushing down on the car. The rubber bits back there look OK, though not great. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

MGarrison

Maybe someone w/ convertible-specific info will pipe up, but - I'd think any rear suspension point that moves or contact point with something that moves could be suspect. Something like this (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999911000P) might be useful.

Try to localize the sound further. Shock mount at the top (listen in the trunk and wheelwell, or underneath), where the shock bolts to the trailing arm, where the spring contacts the upper and lower spring pads, the bump-stops, the half-shaft cv joints will move a bit with suspension compression (cv joint boot rubbing on something, maybe?), maybe trailing arm bushings, perhaps rear subframe bushings, I'd think it would be a remote possibility, but maybe the differential mount bushing, look for anything rubbing (wheelwell tire clearances), anything loose in the trunk that might be moving that could cause your noise, and so on. Then there's any of the stuff related to the top mechanism in the trunk area.

Hope you find it!

mrl325i

Thanks. I am thinking the rear swaybar link bushings might be worn out (the swaybar link being the thing that looks like a dog bone). The bushings look kinda cracked and dry. The link is a pretty cheap part. Any idea if it is a relatively simply DIY (simply, say, as replacing the shocks and mounts)?

Brian A

Other than spring rates, the E30 convertible suspension is the same as an E30 sedan or coupe.

They are very simple to replace; just unbolt and replace; they are not under any spring tension or anything. It's an odd part to suspect is making the noise, but I suppose it could be them.

mrl325i

Well, it certainly sounds like a worn-rubber squeak, and those bushings look the worst. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

Brian A

Garrison covers it.

mrl325i

For a quick fix, I sprayed some silicone lube on the link bushings and into the space where the coil spring meets the rubber pad. Quieted everything so it has to be one of those, tho I am thinking the link bushings -- they look pretty original.

Thanks for the help.