Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Contaminated fuel problem

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by kmkorf, Feb 18, 2009.

kmkorf guest

Hello,

We own a 1999 E46 323i that is now sitting at the BMW dealership awaiting repair because of a horrible contaminated fuel problem. The gas station and their supplier are each suggesting its the other's fault and they cite different contaminants. Our BMW service advisor believes that the fuel that ended up in our car was diesel and there are other cars that received this same contaminated gas. Luckily my wife only drove about 2 miles once she filled up to get home. She had mentioned something smelled funny to her and that the car didn't feel right. The next morning it wouldn't start and smoke was coming from under the hood and the exhaust

My question is, if is was diesel, what is going to have to be replaced or what should we look for? The plan we got from our dealer was that they were going to replace the fuel filter and drain the tank and any lines they can. They then told my wife they will test drive it but that it may not run well for about 2 weeks. I assume as the contaminant dilutes and runs through the system it will eliminate the residual contaminant.

The car has about 190,000 miles on it now and I am worried how it will run after the repairs. Any advice I should pass onto the techs at the BMW dealership? They usually do a pretty good job of things but I would think just a flush and refill may create headaches down the road.

I appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Thanks,
    Kurt
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It will be fine. Take the bill to the gas station, as the diesel tap will not fit into the gas tank.

missmelyssa guest

So Paul, do you think the damage is minimal because the car wasn't driven a far distance?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Mostly, yes. As long as the motor wasn't hydrolocked or the cats weren't poisoned from exposure to the contaminants, it'll probably be just fine.

kmkorf guest

All seems well

Well the work is done and the car seems to be running well at this point. I'm just thankful we didn't drive very far. We've heard some horror stories from other people that filled up with the bad gas and had significantly more problems than we did.

Thanks for the reassurance, but I'm still keeping a watchful eye for signs of problems.