Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

confusing start issue

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by greese, Sep 2, 2008.

greese guest

My 88 E30 is having problems starting. Most of the time it starts up with little problems. However, sometimes it sounds liike it wants to catch and then dies. When it dies, it won't start. After several attempts, it will eventually start. My fuel pump is only six months old. I recently changed the plugs and distributor cap, fuel filter, cleaned icv and throttle body. Car will start immediatley when it is cold (90%). It seems to have problems with short trips to the store. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

az3579

I had a somewhat similar problem and it was a relatively simple fix. My car would hesitate with no throttle response till the engine cut out due to a lack of revs. I took the car in for regular tune-up service (timing belt/tensioner, water pump, cap/rotor, etc.) and while the car was still at the shop, it wouldn't start anymore whatsoever. Turns out, a leak into the car got bad enough to cause corrosion of the fuel pump wires. "Simple" fix, now it starts every time.